Bridging a relationship between Foster Parents and Biological Parents is imperative to a child's well-being.
Take it from Dr. John DeGarmo, a foster parent and advocate in Maryland, when there is stress and tension between the foster parents and the biological parents, it is the children who are most affected. How can we bridge the relationship between these parents when the relationship is not supported by the agencies who remove children from the biological parents and place them with a foster family?
Luckily, I have a workshop developed that can help foster parents learn more about the potential harm that a competitive relationship with the biological parents can cause a child or children.
1. Help participants understand the birth parents' position.
2. Learn more about the birth parents' reasons/feelings/behaviors.
3. Understand the overall experiences of children in the foster setting.
4. Help participants learn how to build a relationship with birth parents based on common concerns.
5. Learn more about the fears (real or otherwise) birth parents have when their child/ren are in foster placement.
6. Develop a plan to build a friendly but firm relationship with the birth parents.
7. Understand the overall needs of birth parents who are working towards reunification.
8. Learn more about appropriate connections between the foster parents and the children and foster parents and birth parents.
When: April 28, 2018 at 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
(Future workshops are very likely so if you cannot attend this one, please check back!)
Where: The Boardroom - downtown Anchorage
Who should attend?: Current Foster parents and anyone interested in becoming a foster parent.
Cost: $20.00 - covers workshop, materials and snacks.
* Please submit payment prior to the workshop via paypal using email address firstname.lastname@example.org and please reference the 'Shared Parenting Workshop' when prompted to provide information regarding payment.
For more information, please contact Angela Hamann at
907-980-8949 or by email at email@example.com